As part of our design process, we are continuously reading, annotating and sharing whatever topic we research. In the case of VIRT-EU, our topics swarm around ethics, technology, connected devices and algorithms. On a parallel track, at this stage we research on our methodologies of co-design, co-creation, speculative design, critical design. Most of it is kept track of here.
This report was created by the ITU and LSE anthropologists and ethicists in VIRT-EU. We culled a few themes and especially interesting areas.
- Gap between personal belief and company statement
- There is a lack of shared vocabulary / open channels of communication
- IOT developers vs. Developer/Business strategists vs. marketing etc.
Point of View
- Understanding the “other” point of view
- User of product
- Roles on the team
- What is the stack of responsibilities underneath the surface of the product?
- And how about in the team around creating the product?
Speed + Time
- How can we match phases of daily habits + product design + ethical reflection?
- How can we match speeds of development with speed of ethical reflection
- Agency / autonomy
- Data protection
- Information asymmetry
- Invisible v. transparent